Petit Palais Musee des Beaux-Arts
|Art museums||Petit Palais Musee des Beaux-Arts|
|Location||Avenue Winston Churchill
|About the Museum||The extremely beautiful Petit Palais, built for the Universal Exhibition of 1900 by Charles Girault, houses major collections, offering a broad perspective of artistic creativity from antiquity until the beginning of this century.
The ancient art collection is essentially attributable to the shrewdness of the Dutuit brothers who bequeathed in 1902 their rich collections of ancient and medieval objects, their precious French and Italian Renaissance pieces and their famous collection of Flemish and Dutch paintings.
The collection was supplemented by 18th century paintings, sculptures, tapestries and objets d’art donated by Tuck.
The museum also owns a remarkable series of 19th century works, commissioned and bought by the City of Paris during the century (Dalou workshop) and also major donations (Courbet, Carpeaux, Carriès, Cézanne) and constantly enriched through a judicious acquisition policy (Delacroix, Ingres, Chassériau, etc).
The works exhibited reflect the main painting movements of the century. The 1900 period is also illustrated by quality objets d’art (pottery, glass by Gallé).
|Museum Collections||After a five-year expansion project, the Beaux Arts-style museum reopened its doors in 2005. Like a miniature Louvre (without the Louvre’s crowds), the museum houses a diverse collection, spanning ancient Grecian urns, medieval panel paintings, Rembrandt’s “Self-Portrait in Oriental Attire,” Louis XV-era furniture, French Impressionism, the symbolist works of Odilon Redon and Art Nouveau ceramics.|