Amos Anderson Art Museum
|Art museums||Amos Anderson Art Museum|
|Location||Yrjönkatu 27 / 00100 Helsinki|
|About the Museum||The Amos Anderson Art Museum in Helsinki city centre is one of the largest private art collections in Finland. Opened in 1965, it belongs to the organization Föreningen Konstsamfundet. The museum’s founder was Amos Anderson (1878-1961), who owned several printing houses and Hufvudstadsbladet, Finland’s largest Swedish-language daily. Anderson was also a generous patron and supported the visual arts, music and theatre in Finland. His interest in antiquity and classical culture also led to the establishment of the Institutum Romanum Finlandiae at the Villa Lante, Rome.The museum is housed in what was Amos Andersn’s private home, built in 1913. The building, designed by the W.G. Palmqvist and Einar Sjöström architects’ office, also functioned as the head office of Anderson’s business operations. After his death, the upper floors were converted into a museum and the office on the ground floor became a hall for special exhibitions. This hall was expanded in the 1985 when the adjacent Forum shopping centre was built. During the last renovation in 1998-99 a new lift was installed and the attic was converted into an exhibition room and an auditorium. The attractive Café Amos and a museum shop are located on the ground floor.
The Amos Anderson Art Museum specializes in 20th century Finnish art. In its acquisitions it focuses on contemporary art. Some of the works from earlier periods, such as those exhibited in the chapel, were originally part of Amos Anderson’s own private collection. A large number of works have been donated or deposited with the museum, including the collection of architect Sigurd Frosterus, which has been on permanent display since 1994. This includes important paintings by Magnus Enckell and A.W. Finch and works by Signac, Bonnard, Vlaminck, and others. The most important donations are Felix Nylund’s sculpture collection and the collections of Birger Carlstedt and Santeri Salokivi.
The Amos Anderson Art Museum arranges a large number of exhibitions on special themes, covering both contemporary and more traditional art. Most of the dozen or so special exhibitions held every year concern the visual arts, but applied arts, architecture and photography are also covered. The museum often invites young artist to display their works, and art from other countries, especially Scandinavia, is regularly exhibited.
Part of the Amos Anderson collection is housed in the Söderlångvik Museum in Dragsfjärd on the island of Kemiö. Formerly Amos Anderson’s summer residence, this museum covers both the life of its former owner and cultural history in general, and is open to the public from May 15 to August 31.
|Museum Collections||The Amos Anderson Art Museum has one of the largest private art collections in Finland. It comprises around 7,000 works — mainly paintings, sculptures, drawings, graphics and photographs, but also textiles, furniture, glass and ceramic objects, mostly from Amos Anderson’s old home (1878-1961). Amos Anderson’s own collection comprised 250 paintings and sculptures, as well as graphics and medal art. Some items from this collection of older Finnish and foreign art are exhibited in the study, salon and chapel of Anderson’s former Helsinki home and at Söderlångvik Museum in Dragsfjärd.|