Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens
|Art museums||Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens|
|Country||the United States|
|Location||829 Riverside Ave.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
|About the Museum||The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens occupies three buildings overlooking formal gardens, situated on the banks of the St. John’s River.
The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens was founded in 1959, as a gift from Mrs. Ninah Cummer, an art collector, civic leader and active member of the Jacksonville community.
The museum began with Mrs. Cummer’s small collection of 60 pieces, which she began gathering on the couple’s second honeymoon. Mrs. Cummer’s first piece was purchased in 1906 and created by Paul King.
|Museum Collections||Today the museum collection has grown to over 5000 works of art, some donated and others purchased with endowments. Some of the best include early Meissen porcelain, the Dennis C Hayes Collection of Japanese woodblock prints, and the Eugène Louis Charvot Collection of 19th-century prints and paintings.|