di Rosa Preserve

di-rosa-preserve

Art museums

di Rosa Preserve

Country

the United States

State

California

City

Napa 

Location

5200 Carneros Highway (121)

Napa, CA 94559

About the Museum

The current di Rosa Preserve is a portion of the original 460 acres of land purchased by Rene di Rosa in 1960. Vineyards were established in 1855, but the land and building had fallen into disuse. Phylloxera in the late 19th Century and Prohibition in the 20th Century did away with the vineyards, and the 1886 stone winery was used for making moonshine, growing mushrooms, storing grain and hay, and milling.

 

After Rene di Rosa purchased the acreage, the stone winery was converted into a home and the land turned from dairy cattle to grapes once again. In 1963, Winery Lake Vineyards was established. Vines eventually covered some 250 acres and through the years the quality fruit was sought by over 50 wineries. Seagram purchased the famed Winery Lake Vineyard in 1986.

Museum Collections

The di Rosa Preserve exists for the public exhibition of the di Rosa art collection, and for the preservation of the historic residence, galleries and open spaces in which it is displayed. The art collection consists of art  produced in the greater San Francisco Bay Area during the latter part of the 20th Century.

Web site

http://www.dirosapreserve.org/

Related Posts

Leave a Reply